Winter weather is coming quick! Whatever the weather looks like in the coming months, make sure you are prepared for the frost to hit with these steps to protect your place of dwelling. The tips below give some advice for both homeowners and renters during the season.
For Your Home
Insulate Your Home
- As a line of defense against winter winds and freezing temperature, make sure your home is fully insulated.
- To protect against the cold air and heat loss, seal windows and doors from gaps and holes letting cold air in.
Protect Your Home from the Outside In
Winter storms may weigh your outdoor foliage down. If you have overarching trees above your home or automobiles, trim them well before the thick of winter hits. Broken, falling branches can cause serious harm to your assets.
Protect Your Water Supply
- Protect your pipes from getting damaged by knowing how to turn off your water in case of a freeze.
- Set your heat at no lower than 55 degrees. Any lower, and you run the risk of your pipes freezing.
For Your Apartment or Condo
As a renter you may not have as many worries to think about when it comes to tending to the building; however, there are many safety precautions to consider in cold temperatures
Know Your Evacuation Plan
With the chilly weather, unfortunately, comes with an increase in fire hazards. As fireplaces and candles are lit, and Christmas lights are hung, there are risks at every turn. In case of fire, know your exit route, so you can leave safely.
Research Before You Plug It In
Speaking of Christmas lights, do your research before plugging in any electrical pieces, such as lights, space heaters, and electric blankets. Don’t be the cause of a fire in your residency!
Protecting Your Space on Vacation
- If you plan on spending a vacation away from your rental, protect your property. Besides locking windows and doors, take a few extra steps.
- Notify a trusted neighbor so they can keep a wary eye out for suspicious behavior.
- Have your trusted neighbor gather your mail (or you may stop mail delivery altogether) so it does not accumulate.
- Unplug all electrical devices to conserve energy and prevent electrical-related issues.
Happy holidays and we hope you enjoy the brisk weather with friends and family! If you need protection this winter with either rental insurance or home insurance, give your local Synergy Insurance agent a call. We're ready to serve!
Note to our Oklahomies:
Who's ready for Downtown in December? We hope to see you at the Downtown events!